December 20, 2010

Yes man? No man...



Been listening to a lot of house lately.  Favorites so far: Kill Everybody Fire in Your New Shoes Feel it in My Bones Dynasty

People have been asking me a lot lately if I have started my Yes Man project because I guess I have been doing a lot of uncharacteristic things.  After my first semester, I feel like I finally have the time to go a little nuts and I guess people are getting confused.  I am definitely having a great winter break so far and hope it continues to be just as good.  I have not been very productive though...

I started to clean my room but gave up when I saw how much junk I have.  I tried to fix my uncle's computer but could not figure out why it was having trouble booting up.  My work out plan is sporadic at best.  I am however getting a lot of partying done.

In preparation for Vegas in March, I have been familiarizing myself with more house, electronica, and, dare i say, trance.  More house than anything though.  One of my classmates made me three CDs of an artist that has a pretty unique sound.



The going gets good around @1:00.  His name is Parov Stelar.  He's considered the founding father of Electroswing and hails from Australia.  I have always enjoyed swing music and big band music like Hey Pachuco! but never really looked for more songs or artists. Now that I have some time between now and the 10th of January, maybe I will look for more.  Or just let Pandora take care of it for me. 

In the past few weeks I have also came up with some ideas for some new ink.  The one that I will probably get first is a falling King (chess piece) on the inside of my left bicep.  You might be thinking, "Alex, how can you make it look like it's falling?!"  "With a shadow, my friend!" I would say.  The only thing holding me back is I am not sure what size I want.  Ideally, it would run almost six inches.  But, I am afraid it will be too big and stick out of my tee shirt sleeves.  Not looking to get caught by the parentals. 

A possible third would be Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici across my collarbone.  Or a smaller version under my left collarbone.  I have been back and forth on this one since I actually stole the idea from a friend who already has the tattoo.  It's also very hard deciding on what font to use.  While searching for more Latin phrases, I came across some very funny ones:

  1. Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri? - (At a barbeque) Ever noticed how wherever you stand, the smoke goes right into your face?
  2. Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus! - Let's all wear mood rings!
  3. Braccae illae virides cum subucula rosea et tunica Caledonia-quam elenganter concinnatur! - Those green pants go so well with that pink shirt and the plaid jacket!
  4. Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita - Life is too short to dance with ugly women
  5. Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam - I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
  6. In dentibus anticis frustrum magnum spiniciae habes - You have a big piece of spinach in your front teeth
A few months ago, Calvin borrowed my iTouch to crack his PS3.  After returning it, I had to redownload my apps.  While looking for more free ones, I decided to download a free version of chess.  I have been playing it everyday for at least half an hour.  I think one of my New Year's resolutions will be to learn how to play chess at a higher level.  It's always been fun but I never understood all the terminology or strategies.  After a decent Wikipedia adventure, I was introduced to some of the intricacies of the games and read up on some of the more memorable matches.  I know I will never be competing in a nationally ranked tournament, but it would be nice to go play with the gang on 5th and Market one day.  Right now one of my biggest problem is seeing all the possible moves with the clock running.  Playing chess under time constraints is very difficult...

Until next time,

A game of chess is normally divided into three phases: opening, typically the first 10 to 25 moves, when players move their pieces into useful positions for the coming battle; middlegame, usually the fiercest part of the game; and endgame, when most of the pieces are gone, kings typically take a more active part in the struggle, and pawn promotion is often decisive.

-Alex Thunderlips

1 comment:

Cora L. said...

I would get the falling king sized to scale :) I'm glad that you've had more time to party!! Enjoy your winter vaca and let loose now, so you can give next semester your 200%... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?